After yesterday's announcement of the Riders of Rohan pre-order launch, the LOTRO forums were overflowed with people who were... 'displeased' by the promised sixth bag only available through the legendary pack and the high price of this pack. I must admit it fed my... 'disappointment' towards the Store as well, as it all smells much like a "barter wallet déja-vu". Either way, it seems like Turbine has reacted on the reception of their offer by releasing information about the "pack-exclusive" items in the Store after all. The previous enigmatic "they may or they may not be available through the Store in the future" has been replaced by the statement that indeed nearly all items will be available through the Store in September:
- Rohan Expansion Content (including the quests of the region): 4295 TP
- Rohirrim Skinned Soldier on Landscape: 295 TP
- 6th Inventory Bag (Account-wide): 995 TP
- Crystal of Remembrance: 995 TP
- The Outriders Token: 495 TP
To buy the legendary edition or not?
So the legendary edition is pretty expensive ($70), and many things can also be bought through the Store separately if you have the patience to wait until September. Is it still worth buying the legendary edition?
This is what the legendary edition seems to offer "exclusively" compared to the other pre-order editions:
- Complete cosmetic Rohirrim armour set This is nice, but I'm not overly enthusiastic on the looks of all pieces, so I think I can live without it (picture to the right). The more I look at it, the more it reminds me of the teenage ninja turtles. I got the previous cosmetic set when I pre-ordered the Rise of Isengard expansion (picture on top of this article), but I don't really wear that set much at all anymore. This is typically a thing that's a cool present, but the shinyness wears off with time.
- 6th Bag If you buy the legendary edition you get it right away, but you can also buy it from the Store in September for 995 TP (account-wide).
- Crystal of Remembrance Adds one extra major legacy to your weapon. How do you mean, Pay to Win? Sigh. This is a nice extra thing, but it's not like "I really need this, lets spend $70 on it!" I'm actually pretty much settled on the amount of majors on my legendary items. If you wait until September, you will be able to buy it from the Store for 995 TP. Not that I'm going to do that.
- Exclusive Rohan Content It isn't explained exactly what this means, but I've heard of two things:
- Horse session play, an introduction to mounted combat. There are apparently some horse session teaser quests that can only be played if you get the legendary edition. It is a chain that grants you a deed if you complete it. The quests have a cooldown of one day and the deed apparently asks you to complete 60.
- Favour of the Mearas horse skill, whatever it may do. I also remember reading something about having 3 horse "traits" available instead of the usual 2, so "horse skill" might be the same as the mentioned "horse trait". We don't really know how important these traits/skills are and what they really do. I think I'm probably able to live without it, as content has proven not to be particularly hard and I'm not feeling any urge yet to grind out stuff for my mount and make it perfect.
I've established that I personally can live without the cosmetic armour, crystal and bag - if I won't buy the legendary edition, I'll buy the bag for TP in September. The big question mark is the last point, the "exclusive Rohan content". It's not really clear what this content exactly is, nor how important it is overall.
Now if I'd have a big RL wallet, I wouldn't hesitate and buy the legendary edition to just get everything and be rid of all the decisions. However, I do not have a big wallet. I'll spend some time thinking about it and hope that more information about the "exclusive content" and the Riders of Rohan expansion itself will be released.