Why? Well, because they're white and furry, and because they reward me with tauntaun domestication data pads and... because they drop CRAFTING MATS. Seriously, my sage has been parked on Hoth for the past few days and it's epic.
I quite liked to roam around Hoth, looking for hidden nests with my binoculars. I found many places that I hadn't been to before and even did some GSI stuff (which I find far more frustrating than the tauntauns, if I'm honest).
And apparently, tauntauns can do amazing low kicks (see picture).
I currently have enough data to buy a tauntaun, but now the real difficulty arises...
Who gets the tauntaun?
Of course it's all about fashion. I cannot choose between the mountain and the tundra tauntaun, so the only solution is to get both.
Ravalyn was the first character that came to my mind, because she is a jedi knight, like Luke Skywalker, and because she wears a brown outfit (Bastila Shan's Tunic) that would fit well with the mountain tauntaun. She also doesn't have a speeder yet that I like. Is it a bit ridiculous though to give a tauntaun to a level 16 alt?
That still leaves the tundra tauntaun to decide about, though. As Ravalyn spends most of her time in warzones, I'd like to give the other to a character of higher character that I play more regularly in the outside world. The options:
- Sage Ravanel: already has a perfect greenish speeder that I got for my birthday from my Imp's guild leader.
- Sorcerer Fárah: would never 'lower herself to riding a furry animal' (her words).
- Slinger Y-u'no: uses the complimentary speeder I got when a friend subscribed which I like, yet a tauntaun would fit with her tauntlet pet.
- Sentinel Haradwen: uses a gold-with-red speeder that matches her outfit.
- Vanguard Xialin: should get the white-with-turquoise-accents Light Rank 5 speeder to match her outfit. And that's all the characters I can see myself playing on a regular basis.
I can't decide, help me! Who did you get a tauntaun for?
How to get a tauntaun
You can either buy one for credits or collect the required tauntaun data yourself. As for guides, there's of course one on Dulfy. If you're thinking about buying your tauntaun instead of collecting, I advise keeping an eye on Hoth's general chat (at least, for as long as tauntauns are still 'hot'). With people competing over the same economical market, data prices occasionally drop down to less than 50% of the vendor price.
* These nests in this area are not so far away from each other, so that's why I picked them.