This week was the start off of the Newbie Blogger Initiative, the one-month event that has become the pillar of the gamer blogging community. The concept is simple: bloggers that have been around for a while help out new blogs by sharing their knowledge and giving them exposure. So if you have been thinking about starting a blog, or have started one that you think could use a kickstart, now is the time.
So how do you know your blog qualifies? First off, you write about gaming: you don't have to write about gaming only, but it should be one of your topics. What type of game(s), whether it's broad or niche, hardcore or casual, it doesn't matter. You also should have a new or newish blog, or an old blog up for revival. What seems to be the general consensus is that it should be younger than the previous NBI, which was one year ago, or (in case of a dead blog) has been revived since that date.
How to participate
1) Sign up officially
This is so the organizers have your contact info.
2) Post a thread in the Newbie Blogger Check-In
This is important, because this is where all the NBI veterans will find your blog and try to promote and support you. If you post here, I'll add your blog to the prominent NBI 2015 blogroll to the right! If you want to support the NBI as a sponsor instead, you can post here.
3) Follow the Newbie Blogger Initiative on the social platforms you use (e.g. forum, Twitter, Google+, Facebook etc).
4) Participate in NBI events and challenges
How much time and energy you want to put in the NBI is entirely up to you. That said, participating in events is a great way to get to know fellow newbies and old timers, learn how other bloggers battle the same topics and get linked to! A grasp of current events:
- Izlain's Talkback Challenge (weekly) Next week's challenge is to write a blog post answering the question: Early Access and Kickstarter. Do you support unfinished games? Each week will offer another topic up for conversation.
- Murphy's Screenshot Safari (weekly) Post max one screenshot of choice per week in one of the following categories: Landscape, High Fantasy, Selfie, Epic Achievement, Heroes or Villains, The Scariest Place. Followed by awards at the end of May.
- JVT's Poetry Slam (whole month)
Write a poem on the theme "gold". Ending with a great link up at the end of May.
- Jeromai's Geography challenge (whole month) Write your thoughts down on regional locking in MMOs or on meeting people from other cultures in-game.
- Izlain's Choose your poison poll (this week) Vote for a game to play together.
Advice postsTraditionally, the NBI has always been a month of sharing thoughts and opinions on blogging via advice posts. Here are three I wrote during previous NBIs for you to start with:
But I'm late!
Well, I'm late, too. There was simply not enough time to write and publish this post earlier this week. There's no such thing as being too late to join the NBI, unless you wait until May is over, that is. So better get out there and submit your blog!
Not writing a newbie blog yourself but like to support new gamer blogs? Feel free to join me in my quest to visit and comment on one blog of the class of 2015 a day.