He's one month later than usual, but the red dragon is back in town, bringing along with him the famous Newbie Blogger Initiative (NBI). For those new to the scene: the NBI is a month of old time gaming bloggers supporting new gaming bloggers, offering advice and exposure. Ever wondered if having a blog of your own would be something for you? This would be the perfect time to take the dive. We old timers know what a big step it can be and will help you in any way we can.
If this has made you curious, here are some articles to help you make up your mind:
- Some wise words by Belghast about what it means to blog (he insists they are not wise but we know better)
- Tips on where to set up a (free) blog by Pasduil
- My own experience as a newbie NBI blogger four years ago
Where do I sign up?
Normally the NBI has a website and forum, but the info got a bit scattered all over the place through the years. Doone from XP Chronicles is working really hard to create a new home for the NBI, which should be done next week. (This is really awesome. Thank you, Doone!)
Until then, you can already get connected by logging into to Discord. I had never heard of it before, but it's comparable to an IRC channel (but then good-looking), and supposedly it can do voice chat, too (although it's currently used for typing as far as I can tell). You can join the channel immediately, or you can create an account and then join and have your avatar shown. This is the place where ideas and questions are thrown about. If you have any questions about blogging (even if you haven't started your blog yet and want to know something), you should have them answered pretty soon.
The other place to connect is Twitter:
- Follow the official NBI account: @newbieblogger2
- Check (and consider subscribing to) the NBI 2016 Twitter list: https://twitter.com/ggchestnut/lists/nbi2016
- Tweet Chestnut (@ggchestnut) that you'll be participating and she'll add you to the list (it's for newbies and veterans alike)!
- Use the hashtag #NBI2016 for your NBI related posts
- If you're a newbie blogger, tag me (@Rav_Griffon) in your tweets and I'll retweet!
Unfortunately I'll be a bit AFK NBI blogging advice wise the coming week myself since I'll be on holiday to the lovely Sweden, but I'm looking forward to what the fifth NBI edition will bring!
Is Rav being even more of a slowpoke with answering your comments than usual? Don't despair, I'm on holiday and pre-scheduled this post in a hardcore attempt to keep my posting schedule. (For science!) I'm looking forward to your comments already and promise to reply to them all when I'm back! (Wait, what did I just say? /faint)